Thursday, April 8, 2010

B-roll

Yesterday was B-roll day. B-roll is the name for footage that is not what we call visual evidence; it is basically background. In this case we were taking footage of the Villanova campus. Frank lives on campus and next year Nick probably will as well so it is important to establish a setting for our story. Luckily it was a beautiful day outside and the campus was in its full splendor. (I was also on the shoot so I like to think that the footage we got was spectacular... You'll all have to be the judge when you see the final product).

Our director Trish, Mike, Erica, and I were the first group to shoot yesterday. We got some great shots of the buildings around campus and some students enjoying the sun. We had some trouble because when people see a camera on them they tend to change their behavior. It also may have had something to do with the fact that many of the students were sunbathing and may have been uncomfortable with the cameras.

Trish and Erica were soon replaced by JT. Mike, JT, and I got some shots of the church and of Bartley Hall emptying after classes ended. I think these shots really reflect the ambiance of the campus in the spring. There is somewhat of a chaotic yet peaceful atmosphere that is comforting to me. Having seen Frank cruising around outside after shooting with a huge smile on his face, I think he feels the same way.

I am currently sitting across from Megan, our head of the writing department, who is struggling with writing a synopsis for the storyline. She has proposed wonderful ideas so far and has molded all of our ideas into a very nice storyline. Erica just came in with pizza so I need to go!

Justin

1 comment: